You might remember a couple of weeks ago, I went to a masterclass with Robert Welch
You might also remember how I was raving on about how brilliant their knives are? Well the team kindly gave me a set to try out at home and I've fallen in love.
I wanted to create a recipe for you guys which showcases the skills of these super-sharp blades, so I thought what better recipe than one which literally translates as 'to slice': Poke.
It's a little like sushi and a little like a salad and it's so delicious. It's made by marinating raw chopped fish which you place on top of fresh rice and then build up with various toppings to suit your tastes.
I adore salmon so I've used thick chunks and paired it with creamy avocado, coriander, lime and radish to add a pop of colour and crunch.
The recipe requires lots of fine slicing and chopping so you'll need a good sharp knife which is where these Robert Welch knives really come into their own.
The one I've found myself using most is the light-weight and ergonomically designed Signature Cooks knife. The blade is super-sharp which makes slicing through all the ingredients an absolute dream (and take half the time)! Believe me, once you've used a good set of knives, you'll understand the importance of investing!
What you'll need (for one person)
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
A good pinch of chilli flakes
1 fillet of sushi grade salmon
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 red onion
1-2 radishes (finely sliced)
1/2 packet of basmati rice (I use microwaveable rice)
1. Mix the soy, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and chilli flakes in a bowl and set to the side
2. Cut the salmon into cubes. Larger cubes are better for those who enjoy the taste of fish but if you're not keen, keep them smaller.
3. Finely slice the red onion and add with the salmon and garlic to the dressing and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
4. Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet. Once cooked, spoon into your serving bowl.
5. Arrange your marinated salmon, radish, lime and coriander on top of the rice
6. Peel and finely slice your avocado and arrange into a flower shape and add to the bowl
7. Spoon the remaining dressing over the salad and enjoy!
To celebrate one million sales, Robert Welch are running a competition in which you could have the chance to win the very same knife block which I received above.
The Signature Compact Knife Block comes complete with four Signature knives and a pair of scissors. Simply visit the competition page and fill in your details to win. Good luck!